Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Gallery of Ghastliness

Ugly Ben Sherman products 101:

I believe Members Only never flew the Union Jack so Ben you're the first.....Go Team Revson!

No one wants to pay $50 for your ugly fucking t-shirt, even a 15 year old mod.

At the risk of offending my gay friends, this is a VERY feminine jacket, in fact I'll bet none of my gay friends would wear this!  And they have the nerve to call it a "Harrington"?!

Nothing says I'm a teenage ticket better than a pair of bulls eye bowling shoes!

Elbow pads are wrong period, denim ones are worthy of the death penalty....

There is nothing worse than a bearded hippie hipster in a Ben Sherman....except maybe an over inked hip hop rude girl...
Vomit.
This ensemble gives me vertigo...
Who the fuck buys this shit?!
They call it the "Glory Brogue", who the hell dreams up the names for their gear? I guess "ugly pair of suede brogues" would've gotten me fired or at least a written letter of reprimand if I were working for them....
A Ben Sherman wallet, nothing says "I'm a knob" like a Ben Sherman wallet with Union Jack lining....for mods suckers only


In the 80's my friend Steve wore a Chess Club jacket just like this, he still probably does, who knew he'd be cool 30 years later according to Ben Sherman!











6 comments:

EXPO67 said...

Ha ha ha...once again you nail it.

swiss adam said...

They've been getting it wrong ever since they strayed from the simple button down collar shirt.

Wilthomer said...

Amen!

A Dandy in Aspic said...

Oh dear....that red thing with Union Jack....I remember about a year ago, I nearly got into a fight in the pub with a guy who was wearing one of those atrocities. He called me 'a fookin' poof' for wearing a paisley shirt, and said something along the lines of 'you can't be a real fookin' mod if you don't like Oasis!'
Unfortunately this kind of stuff happens more often than you might think...
As for Ben Sherman, well probably even Topman has more passable mod clothing these days...

Out In The Street said...

This illustrates why I have an unused benshermanusa.com gift card I recieved as an xmas gift 2 or 3 years ago.

I was on the Isle of Wight in August. I was in a old mens shop, which had just straight plain ben sherman classic oxford cotton shirts in a few classic colours. I've never seen those Oxfords available online.

I think they are in this perpetual state of identity confusion and end up looking like Point Zero Sears grade nerd gear, trying to mix pilfered trends (like micro collars) with raf roundels.

They've created some 'heritage' side brand now, which is not even focusing on their own history, its a stab at some confused fashionable update to the current preppy americana trend.

Ben Sherman is a drastic difference from Fred Perry who get their heritage brand identity well, and manages to colour outside the lines just a bit without straying into gimmicky crap.

Wilthomer said...

I would kill for a solid clolr classic Ben Sherman. I had several from 8 years ago or so but having put on a few piunds they no longer fit so I gave them to friends, but you're right you never see solid color ones on either the US or UK site. I actually went out and bought a bunch of straight color Chams shirts at Kohl's and had them fitted (they came, literally, in every color of the rainbow and have nice sized button down collars with white buttons)!