Thursday, October 13, 2011

More U.K. Obscurities On U.S. Labels: The Soulful Brit R&B sounds of Winston G

WINSTON G.-Cloud Nine/I'll Make You Cry Tomorrow U.S. Warner Brothers 7003 1967





















This is the third of five singles by a group called Winston G. We spoke about a later single by them earlier at:

http://anorakthing.blogspot.com/2009/09/freakbeat-67.html

This single is a soulful affair, in fact you'd think it was another band based on our previous entry (which was actually the single following today's item in question)!  It was released in the U.K. as Decca F 12444 in 1966.  It's not to be confused with the late track of the same name by The Temptations.  It contains high pitched female backing vocalists (not unlike the horrid Breakaways shrill noise on Georgie Fame's "Fame At Last" LP) which puts me off a bit but luckily the lead vocals and the powerful horns make it a great track (I the arrangement was done by Les Reed, who also did the same for Paul & Barry Ryan).  I haven't a clue what the flip is like as I never played it, guess I should huh?

"Cloud Nine" was reissued on the British 60's r&b/soul CD compilation  "Mix A Fix:U.K. Floor Fillers 2".

I've since found some groovy info on the illusive Winston G:

http://forgottenbands.blogspot.com/2010/01/winston-g-wicked.html

Who it would seem formed the basis of The Fox ( responsible  for the 45 "Hey Mr. Carpenter"/"Seek And You Find", NOT The Fox on Fontana), more on that 45 soon I promise!

Hear "Cloud Nine":

http://youtu.be/DqsxmDk29Uk

No comments: